Do you like a challenge? How about being on the forefront of innovation? Yes? Then picture yourself working at Protedyne (a LabCorp company). Here, you’ll build your career alongside some of the brightest and most creative minds in laboratory automation, engineering, science, and software.
We are hiring for the following position at the Protedyne headquarters in Windsor, CT. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://jobs.labcorp.com and search within 5 miles of "Windsor CT"
Software Operations Engineer
Protedyne has an immediate opening for a Software Operations Engineer at our Windsor, CT headquarters to support the Software Engineering Department. Candidate will be responsible for the software release process in development, QA, and production environments; maintaining servers for development and production, including periodic security analysis and updates; assisting the Test Group with release testing activities on alpha hardware; deploying software across the US; overseeing bug/feature tracking and source control; and generally streamlining the build/deploy process across several product lines.
Protedyne designs, builds and maintains automation equipment for laboratory use in production environments, including the software used to control the equipment. Thus, the candidate will routinely work in a hands-on way with laboratory automation equipment, including starting, stopping and happy-path testing (a.k.a. smoke testing) for new builds and releases. Candidates should have experience in continuous integration, understand software development, be current with IT security solutions, and have experience solving IT operational challenges using software engineering tools and processes. IoT security and/or deployment experience a plus. This role will include supporting Java development, so an understanding of Java programming is required. The job includes some network design and configuration. Candidates should have significant experience with open-source tools and will be tasked with recommending whether a good commercial alternative is available, bearing in mind sustainability, speed-to-solution and long-term economic impact. Candidates must be detail-oriented, skilled problem solvers with experience in streamlining and automating development and deployment processes.
- Manage software builds and deployments in Dev, QA and Production environments on server installations across the country
- Conduct periodic maintenance, including security analysis and updates on production servers
- Deploy release candidate software on alpha hardware and verify happy-path operation (a.k.a smoke testing)
- Track and document progress of software versions using Salesforce customer relationship management software
- Design, maintain and troubleshoot local area networks to support production automation equipment
- Maintain the software development platform, including local test/development machines and PCs at production sites
- Manage source control using Subversion and GIT
- Streamline and automate the build/release process for multiple projects by developing and maintaining tools to automate builds and deployments
- 3 – 5 years experience in DevOps or a similar role
- Experience with automating software build processes (e.g. Maven, Jenkins)
- Experience with production software deployments
- Experience designing and troubleshooting networks, including servers, routers and switches
- Current with industry trends in IT security, IT ops and industry best practices; able to identify solutions appropriate for Protedyne, and those that are not
- Experience with Linux-based infrastructures, Linux/Unix administration; AWS a plus
- Strong experience with SQL and NoSQL databases (e.g. MySQL, MariaDB, MongoDB)
- Experience with project management and workflow tools such as Agile and SCRUM
- Experience with open-source technologies and cloud services
- Hands-on experience with containers and container platforms such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Solid communication skills and ability to explain protocol and processes with team and management
- Strong troubleshooting skills with the ability to spot issues before they become problems
- Time and project management skills, with the capability to prioritize and multitask as needed
- Solid team player with outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
- IoT security and/or deployment experience a plus.
- Experience in software development and infrastructure development is a plus
- Hands-on experience with automation and/or laboratory equipment is a plus
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, Software Engineering or a relevant field